Grade Unease

    If you're unhappy with your exam performance there's almost nothing that can be done about the grades you've received.  
    As mentioned earlier, appealing a grade will likely get you nowhere.  However, people do make mistakes, so go check out your exam and read it over.  Add up the points to make sure there were no math errors.  Each Prof will have a procedure for checking out exams and going over the results (your school will likely allow a review without requiring the filing of a formal appeal).  Most Prof's require that you read over the exam again, familiarize yourself with your arguments, and come to the Prof’s office prepared to defend your position.  In other words, they don't listen to generalized whining.
    It's also a good idea to get the Prof's opinion as to what you can do in the future to improve your performance.  Maybe your exam was poorly formatted and hard to read, maybe you included too much analysis, maybe not enough analysis, etc.
    One thing is for sure, if you study and write next semester’s exams the same way, you will get the same results.  What I'm saying is this: if you're unhappy with your performance then you must do something differently next semester.  If you have friends who did well, pick their brains as to how they prepared.  Think about where you spent most of your time, and whether or not that time was well spent?  Think of where you didn't spend as much time, should you have spent more time on that task?  Come up with a new plan and execute that plan 2nd semester.
    If you did so poorly that you are either on academic probation or uncomfortably near probation, then be sure to read the section of this book entitled “Thinking of quitting?” in the Post 1L considerations section.  Generally, a GPA of 2.22 or lower will result in academic probation.